Your home’s style is a reflection of your personal taste and preferences, and it’s natural to want to update it from time to time. That’s especially true when purchasing an existing home with a previous owners’ style throughout. Whether it’s a complete overhaul or just a few tweaks, changing your home’s style can be a daunting task. However, with some careful consideration and planning, it can also be an exciting and rewarding experience. In this blog post, we’ll explore some key considerations and tips to help guide you through the remodeling process of changing styles.
- Budget. Before embarking on any renovation project, it’s important to establish a budget. Consider what you can realistically afford and what your priorities are. Determine those areas of your home that are most in need of updating and allocate your budget accordingly.
- Timeframe. Changing your home’s style can be a time-consuming process, so it’s important to have a realistic timeframe in mind. Consider how long each project will take and plan accordingly. Keep in mind that unexpected delays can occur, so build some flexibility into your schedule.
- Functionality. It’s important to consider how your new style will impact the functionality of your home. Will your changes improve the flow of your space? Will they create additional storage or improve organization? Make sure that your new style meets your functional needs.
- Resale value. If you plan to sell your home in the future, it’s important to consider how your new style will impact its resale value. While it’s important to make changes that reflect your personal style and taste, it’s also important to consider what impact, if any, those changes will have on the marketability of your home.
- Start small. Changing your home’s style doesn’t have to be a major overhaul. Start small with a few changes, such as updating your lighting fixtures or remodeling a guest bathroom. Small changes can make a big impact and help you ease into the process.
- Consider the big picture. When making changes to your home’s style, it’s important to consider the big picture. Think about how each change will impact the overall aesthetic of your home. Create a cohesive design plan that ties everything together.
- Don’t forget the details. Details can make a big difference when it comes to changing your home’s style. Consider updating your door hardware, changing out switch plates, or adding new window treatments.
- Get inspired. Look for inspiration in magazines, online, or in your friends’ homes. Keep a file of images and ideas that inspire you and use them as a starting point for your own style changes. The popular design platform Houzz is a good place to start. In fact, images from Lenton Company’s Houzz profile have been saved more than 10,000 times by the Houzz community into their ideabooks!
- Work with professionals. If you’re not sure where to start or need some help with the process, consider working with professionals. A design professional can help you create a cohesive design plan and guide you through the process. At Lenton Company, our designers help clients navigate the many choices and make informed decisions that match their style, needs, and budget. Our designers work with clients to select materials and finishes that fit your vision for your new kitchen. We provide guidance on everything from cabinets and countertops to flooring and backsplashes, helping you choose finishes that complement each other and create a cohesive look throughout your kitchen. Our team can also provide insight into which materials and finishes will work best for your specific project, based on factors like durability, maintenance requirements, and cost.
Remember to start small, consider the big picture, pay attention to the details, get inspired, and work with professionals if needed. With careful planning and execution, your home can reflect your personal style and taste in no time.